Monday 29 January 2018

Books Read In 2017, and Books Currently Being Read

A Good Read by George Bernard O'Neill
In 2017 I didn't read as many books as I would have liked to, and  there were also various ones (not mentioned here) that were browsed through or begun but abandoned to be read at another time because I'm a moody and sometimes fickle reader!   Many of them were mysteries. All of them are very good, and I do tend to have the problem of having so many enticing treasures to read that it's hard to settle, which is why there are usually several on the go at the same time. 
I've never posted my reading lists before, but here is my 2017 list:

The Shadow Guests by Joan Aiken 1980
She Fell Among Thieves by Dornford Yates 1935
Unicorn: Myth and Reality by Rudiger Robert Beer
Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (yet again) 1988
The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley 2011
A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley 2011    
The Man Behind The Glass by Greg Howes 2014
The Hound Of Death and Other Stories by Agatha Christie 1933
The Lothian Run by Mollie Hunter 1970
Empty Pocket Blues:  The Life and Music of Clive Palmer by Grahame Hood 2008
The Stones of Green Knowe by Lucy Boston 1976
Robin Hood by J.C. Holt
Percy's Reliques of Ancient English Poetry Volume 1
The Mabinogion, translated by Lady Charlotte Guest (not finished)
The Silver Bough by F. Marion McNeill 1956
The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude 1935
Appleby's Answer by Michael Innes 1973
Adele and Co. by Dornford Yates 1931
The Club Of Queer Trades by G.K. Chesterton 1905
The Crime At Black Dudley by Margery Allingham 1929
Look To The Lady by Margery Allingham 1931
The Book Without Words:  A Fable Of Medieval Magic by Avi 2005
The Apothecary Rose by Candace Robb 1993
Headlong Hall by Thomas Love Peacock 1816

Due to the pastime of researching books (when I really should just be reading from what I already have), I did add quite a large number of books to my library in 2017, and there's nothing wrong with that! I sold a few books and traded some as well.  Some of the kinds of arrivals include ones on the Pre-Raphaelites, mysteries, Scottish books, Irish books,  antique books, and Victoriana.  In December, via booksellers with very good and very cheaply priced books, I ordered a great bunch of Medieval history books that look fascinating, and have started on one of those (though already had plenty of other Medieval history books yet to read, but you have to get them when you find them...).  I was also given some books for Christmas that I'd selected, which included more Lady Gregory books and a big hardcover tome of delightful-looking stories by Washington Irving.

Along with previously wanting more books by Dornford Yates and John Buchan, last year I discovered that I need many of G.K. Chesterton's books; along with being a highly entertaining writer, he was a very wise man.

Finished books so far this year are: The Maidenswell Folly by Greg Howes, and The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. 

Currently reading:

Visions & Beliefs In The West of Ireland by Lady Gregory  (gathered superstitions and folklore)

Medievalism:  The Middle Ages In Modern England by Michael Alexander  (about the Medieval revivals in literature, architecture, etc...)

The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins

Drawn From Life by William Thackeray

Mystery On The Moors (Sons of the Wolf) by Barbara Michaels (vintage Gothic suspense)


It's tempting to set up a reading plan for the year, but that doesn't tend to work well for me, as interests can shift around and it can make it feel more of a chore to tie oneself down to only read from a list, no matter how wonderful a list it may be.  But there are a few I particularly want to read this year, including certain ones by Robert Louis Stevenson, John Buchan, Sir Walter Scott, and William Harrison Ainsworth; so have assembled a small list of a few titles, but leaving the majority of the reading to whatever I feel like. It would be good to pick up the pace a bit too, and get through more books this year (I'm a fast reader, but deliberately slow down to fully absorb stories, and generally read in somewhat short spaces of time).  I'm also continuing on with my own writing, and have various ideas in progress which I intend to get on with, along with my music and painting too; and also would like to be more frequent with my blog posts here if interest is shown, comments are very welcome.

What are you reading?  Do you make reading plans?

4 comments:

  1. Hello Lori~ Was interesting to read your list of all you have read this year. Re: reading plans, like you, I find that a bit too confining . I tend to just come across books from a variety of sources, sometimes book blogs,searches for one book, then finding another instead that sounds good, maybe something spotted in the library or even trying to find more books written by an author I have discovered I particularly like~ as far as any plans , I sometimes remind myself I really must get round to reading some of my own books which I have already but often forget to or overlook when I have found a stack from the library first. Other than that I make no plans ~ it's pretty organic and a lot depends on mood , season,and what is happening in my life at the time. Would you agree with any of the above? Will try and look over the list I have made of some of the books I have read this year (less than usual for reasons outside my preference or control)and see if there might be any I would recommend or think you might enjoy .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valkrye, it's good to hear from you, as always! I hope all is well. I used to love going to the library and coming back with more than I could carry; going to the big downtown library was a thrill, they had so many older books. But then they changed it, made it too modern, and so didn't enjoy going so much, and as my own library grew, wasn't so interested in going and wanted to just own most of what I read. I do know what you mean, if I request any library books then those get read while your own languish on the shelves. It's funny that after I wrote this piece, I came up with a reading list! There were new arrivals and some others that just called to me. It's odd that I didn't read but about two Scottish books last year, and this year most of the ones I want to read are Scottish, including "The Antiquary' and 'Guy Mannering' by Scott, two I began previously then set aside for another time. Yes, I definitely agree that mood determines much of the reading, but with so much to choose from there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, I'd be very interested to see your lists.

      Delete
  2. I see we have some similar taste in reading, and I like to read several books at once. My plan is to read all of Anthony Trollope's novels which are real joys. I read about 25 of the 47 in the last couple of years. I read lots of mystery series too, Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly, Donna Leon, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome, Terra. That's a lot of Anthony Trollope books to get through! It sounds like you should get through them all soon, especially with enjoying them so much. I haven't read any of those other authors you mentioned, as I tend to only read vintage mysteries.

      Delete