Thursday 31 May 2018

Two newly-found vintage books on Scottish Travellers and Irish stories

May was an unusual month, with illness and then a holiday in the midst of beautiful woods, mountains, and streams.  I was hoping to come across a good secondhand bookshop somewhere along the journey, but it wasn't to be; though I did find two lovely-looking vintage books in an antique shop.  The first is 'A Time from the World' by Rowena Farre, an author that I have another book by (that I've yet to read and it looks charming) called "Seal Morning'.  This book, from 1962, looks fascinating, it's about her befriending and joining up with Romanies, the Travellers, and others; she shares her experiences from being around those characters, and their lore, customs and beliefs in Scotland decades ago. The cover art by Douglas Hall is delightful.

On my way out, with two records in my hand as well, part of the book cover (which had some object sitting on top of it) of an attractive and vintage-looking book caught my eye, and it was an interesting book of Irish stories from 1963 called 'A Journey To the Seven Streams' by Benedict Kiely.   It was nice to find these somewhat obscure books with the dust jackets still in good condition, and I look forward to reading these sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Lori, Were you ever able to get round to reading either of these interesting looking books? I have a couple of older books on Romanies , one a first person account which I found back in the early 80's(although I think it was written in the 50's or 60's) about English woman who ended up falling in love with and traveling for several years with a group of Romanies~ I remember at the time how much I loved the book. Having not re-read it , I would hate to say now that it still is as wonderful a book because I know I have changed to some degree and my perspective on some things.~ I know I have always been intensely dreamy, tended to romanticize just about everything I find beautiful of interesting ~ of course life and experience has take the sparkle and shine or the rose coloured glasses not so much in use as they once were ~(although I do still tend to want to romanticize some things) I do recall how much I envied her and wished something similar would befall me ... not sure what I would think now. Guess I should re-read. As soon as I unearth it will give you the title and author if you think you might be interested. I am fairly sure it also had some b&w photos in it as well~ certainly at least a couple of her in her adopted Romany clothes and a photo of her lover and caravan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Valkrye, I haven't got around to those two yet. Those books of yours sound very interesting indeed! Do let me know the titles when you find them. I hope that it would still make you feel the same if you read them again, it's wonderful when that happens, when something brings back a particular feeling you once had, or a spark of some inspiration. I could never live that sort of life, but do find it intriguing. I do so understand, I'm a hopelessly dreamy romantic too! I have about four other gypsy-themed books that are surely due a posting, though I haven't read them all.

      Delete