Monday 25 June 2018

'The Heir', A Dreamy Tale by Vita Sackville-West


'The Heir', written in 1922 by Vita Sackville-West, is a story that has haunted me since reading it two weeks ago.  I have a love of stories where someone inherits a country house; in many of those stories it is often a poor, orphaned young woman, like in Mary Stewart's 'Thornyhold', but that is not the case in this one, as the main character is a man, though not at all wealthy.

On the death of an aunt, Peregrine Chase (who works in an insurance company in the city of Wolverhampton) inherits an unspoilt, romantic Elizabethan manor house, with moat and lush gardens and various properties rented out to farm workers and such.   At first it is assumed that he will want to just sell up right away, as there is much debt; and indeed he feels that he would be better to just rid himself of the place and the responsibility, but after spending more and more time there, and more and more time around the locals who immediately accept him as the lord of the manor, he undergoes a change and something hidden awakens inside.  The house and landscape seem to almost be living characters, such is the prominence of their presence, their romantic atmosphere.  The summer air seems to exert a sweet and fragrant allure, irresistibly luring him under their spell. 

There is much in this that seems to reflect some of Vita Sackville-West's deep love for her childhood home of Knole, which she had to leave due to it being inherited by a relative, and which, I gather, she never got over; in her soul, Knole belonged to her.  I was rather captivated reading this dreamy little, beautifully written book, and worried and anxious right before the end.  I like to imagine what could have happened after it, I like to think that Peregrine found love and married a nice country girl.

The Rose Garden, Balcaskie by George Samuel Elgood

3 comments:

  1. I think I would like this book, I love novels set in the English countryside and involving an unexpected inheritance and I like the painting you share here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you probably would like it, and it's small enough that anyone could read it in one sitting. It is a lovely painting, thanks, it goes rather well with the story.

      Delete
  2. Lori, I know it has been an AGE since I have visited your blog and have really missed it. I actually forgot the blog name, so lost the url and no matter what combination I came up with nothing worked until I remembered I had some old correspondence with you in my gmail where I searched this evening and finally located your blog. I obviously have much to catch up with here but spotted this post and had to tell you that this is one of my favorite books ~ When I first discovered Vita Sackville West,over 30 yrs ago now ~ first her book on her magical home , Knole, I fell in love with her telling of the history of the house she adored and her eccentric and colorful family~( I also made a special pilgrimage to see Knole.) ( another interesting (I think so anyway) footnote here , The park at Knole is where the Beatles filmed their promotional video for the song Strawberry Fields.) I discovered her book the Heir after reading a bio about her, then her poetry , as well as some other books regarding her and her relationship with Virginia Woolf and her affair w/ Violet Trefusis. I read everything I could find by her and about her. The Heir being the book I read right after the one on Knole and the Sackvilles~ I loved it immediately and like you, it stayed in my head for days afterward. So much of what she wrote really resonates with me and this book is a gem I think. I noticed in your most recent post that I also have two of the same cd's of winter/ christmas music as well, but more on that next time. I am so pleased to have relocated you and have bookmarked your blog now! Looking forward to commenting on posts I missed . Hope you're well and that you had a lovely Solstice/ Yuletide / Christmas .

    ReplyDelete